QtWebEngine and Mingw

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 06:59:15 PDT 2017

i've just updated my Qt to 5.9.0 on Windows with the Mingw 5.3.0 toolchain.

but i'm facing a bug where the WebEngine libaries and cmake files are missing:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-61394

after reading more into it, it seems it might not be an actual bug...:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-42725

people in the above thread say that QWebEngine relies on the Chromium
engine as a backend and Chromium cannot be build using Mingw on
Windows - MSVC or clang needs to be used, so to me this means that if
you want to deploy a Qt based app on Windows that uses QWebEngine it
has to be built using MSVC or clang.

if so, that's a bummer.

the thread is old, but there are recent comments bellow that suggest
to use a fork of QtWebKit, which is what we are using now - is that
correct?

i will investigate further into this, but i'm going to assume that
switching to clang is a possibility (if QtWebEngine supports that - i
don't exactly understand the details here), while MSVC is out of the
question?

CCing Dirk and Thiago for insight.

lubomir