Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jun 24 10:25:26 PDT 2017

> On Jun 24, 2017, at 9:11 AM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Jun 24, 2017 12:36 PM, "Willem <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za <mailto:willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>> wrote:
>

> This is just a concept of an idea to indicate a date with each dive trip. See attached image. I think only the month and year are really important within this context. I was thinking of how to include the date and take up as little space as possible in the trip header, leaving maximal space for the text. This is also a concept without taking into account what may be do-able within QML. The probability is quite large that it is not do-able.
>
> 1) Is this an aesthetically acceptable way of approaching showing the date for each dive trip?
> 2) The date takes up 2 lines. Look at the top header of the three with a date. What to do in the case of a dive trip that fits on one line?
>
> Kind regards,
> willem
>
> IMHO.
> We could just flow the rex on two rows and then add date in short form with a light font.
> In this way the space you used for the date would be used for a fancy icon/image which pressed expand/collapse the trip.

So we already flow the trip location to multiple rows if it gets to long. But having the date simply flow seems weird to me - I want the date to be in a fixed spot so I can immediately see it.
I don't think that small icons / images in the trip title are really all that useful, so personally I like Willem's idea better.