Subsurface-mobile with BT and BLE support [was Re: updates to libdc with ABI change]

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 29 05:19:25 PDT 2017

On 28-06-17 23:25, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 1:52 AM, Jan Mulder<jlmulder at xs4all.nl>  wrote:
>> So, there is some communication, and with my very very limited knowledge on
>> BLE, it seems that the correct service is detected (Found service
>> "{53544d54-4552-494f-5345-525631303030}" and things finally seem to fail
>> with something encryption related? If needed, i can produce screendumps from
>> Nordic to see what BLE things are visible on the OSTC3, but I suspect that
>> most of the required data is in the log above.
> Yeah, most of it is there, but it would be good to see what the Nordic
> RF app says about those value handles that are inside the vendor
> service.
5 screenshots are attached. While I first thought that the correct
service was detected,  I know think it is the wrong one. From the HW doc
(https://bitbucket.org/heinrichsweikamp/hwos_code/src/4e6f5c36f4cc63205923dad657f66cae114fe54d/doc/hwos_interface.odt?at=default),
we can see that the OSTCs "use Bluetooth chipset creates a virtual COM
port, with Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) the device is compatible to “Stollman's
Terminal IO Profile”. I am almost sure that the used hardware component
is the BlueMod+SR (Telit, formerly Stollman).

>From
http://www.telit.com/fileadmin/user_upload/products/Downloads/sr-rf/BlueMod/TIO_Implementation_Guide_r04.pdf
we can learn from section 6 that the  Terminal I/O Service has UUID:
0xFEFB. So, that very likely corresponds to the service  UUID: Stollmann
E+V GmbH  (0000fefb-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb). This service has 4
characteristics.

In order to check my hypothesis, I hacked around in qt-ble.cpp. And yes,
I'm basically sure that the service 0000fefb... is the right one. In the
code in master this one is discarded as standard, but by using this
anyway I am able to get the OSTC3 in download mode. I did not succeed up
to now to receive data from the OSTC3, so obviously, the parsing fails
right at the start.

> So I do think that I'd want to see that full descriptor layout that
> the Nordic app is so nice about (make sure it's fully expanded), and
> if possible a bluetooth packet dump of a download if there is some
> dive log software available that uses BLE.

I looked around for any dive log software for the OSTC family, but I get
the impression that Subsurface is leading here, so no BLE capable stuff
found that can act as a reference.

> This being an ostc, maybe the BLE details are even documented
> somewhere, I just wouldn't know where.

Ok, I found some stuff, HwOS source code in PIC assembler, and numerous
docs related to the actual hardware of the BT/BLE component, but I think
the two already hyperlinked docs are the most relevant.

--jan