Literal characters

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 07:24:44 PST 2017

On 1 March 2017 at 17:05, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While I understand what liter means in a programming language, what
> does it means in Subsurface?
>
> I found this during translation:
>
> ./desktop-widgets/preferences/preferences_language.cpp:76;../desktop-widgets/preferences/preferences_language.cpp:82
>
> PS
> Even if it's something that fits perfectly could you find a better
> term for the average joe out there?

Literal characters are characters that will be taken literally:
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/literally

so in the context of qdatetime (see link), if the string has things
like: "H:m" that will produce hour:minutes - e.g. 23:15. - i.e. 'H'
and 'm' are taken "literally".
but if the user has entered characters that are non-supported the
message dialog will be show:

TITLE: tr("Literal characters")
MESSAGE: tr("Non-special character(s) in time format.\nThese will be
used as is. This might not be what you intended.\nSee
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qdatetime.html#toString"));

"letterale" might be the word in Italian for literal.

lubomir