subsurface crash when merging .xml files

Alessandro Volpi volpial at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 02:59:48 PST 2017

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 10:29 PM, Linus Torvalds <
torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> > But I fixed the merging issues you pointed out, and your test-case now
> > gives me the idential result to "complete.xml" apart from some
> > cleanups we do (ie whitespace in strings, and removing redundant
> > cylinder pressures when the data exists in the sample data).

Yesterday I have tested with the new subsurface 4.6.3 the file merge
operation on the data imported from my dive_log.slg , file generated by
SmartTrak.

The file is not exactly equal to its previous versions, since some errors
and misspellings have been corrected. It has been included in a new
directory "subsurface_4.6.3_testing/" within in my Dropbox folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dsg43qcbo013i1k/AAC_vCS3cZeZar5i3HngCNq3a?dl=0

The subsurface dive log, file all_dives.xml  was generated
by smtk2ssrf_4.6.2-33 , available in the same directory together with all
files mentioned in this message.

I have opened file all_dives.xml and I have deleted dives from #483 to #501
. The resulting file is first_482.xml.

After opening such files with subsurface I started the import operation on
the original file all_dives.xml , thus generating file all_dives_2.xml .

I have then checked with the diff utility the differences between files
all_dives.xml and all_dives_2.xml . The resulting text file is
differences_file.txt .

The records of the dive site list remained unchanged and NO DUPLICATION OF
SUCH RECORDS HAS TAKEN PLACE.

The import operation was exactly executed as expected: the only differences
between the two files are just some white space in the notes of several
dives and the removal of redundant Start pressure data on some dives.

I have then generated file all_dives_3.xml simply by selecting the "New
logbook" menu entry and importing file all_dives.xml .

As expected such file is IDENTICAL to file all_dives_2.xml . This means
that "opening" a .xml dive log file is not exactly equal to "importing" it
and the difference is simply the removal of redundant white space and tank
start pressure.

File all_dives_3.xml was not added to my Dropbox folder, since it is
identical to file all_dives_2.xml .

The conclusion is that, AFAIK, the bugs in the file import procedure HAVE
BEEN TOTALLY FIXED.

The only remaining question is : why is the tank start pressure redundant
field present only in a few dives, as the data are imported with smk2ssrf ?
I have observed that all records with the redundant data have been
generated by the SmartTec dive computer whilst the old Aladin Air Z O2 and
the new Galileo Sol and Galileo Trimix are not affected.

A possible explanation is that the redundant Start pressure data are being
generated by SmartTec ONLY WHEN THE COMPUTER IS STARTED ON THE BOAT. If the
computer is turned on with the wet contacts when the diver jumps in the
water the redundant data field is not produced. Obviously this is ONLY A
GUESS, since I do  not remember for each dive whether I have switched on
the computer in the boat or in the water.

Next week I am going carry out some experiments in order to check the
behavior of the .xml file import procedure WHEN SOME DATA HAVE BEEN
MODIFIED IN THE FILE BEING IMPORTED, but not in the file being opened as
subsurface is started.

Kind regards.

Alessandro