question about technical terms and translations

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 20:47:46 PST 2017

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> One of the downsides of using GitHub is that a lot of discussions tends to
> happen on the pull requests and only those that subscribe to those
> notifications see those...
>
> E.g., on https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/pull/235 there
> is a question about the universal understanding of MOD, END, divelog,
> divespot, setpoint...
>
> Should those be translated at all?

I am quite sure it depends on the language. I.e. divelog and divespot
I would translate, but MOD, END and setpoint I would not, unless
someone who is familiar with Finnish diving  vocabulary tells me what
they actually should be.

> My experience leads me to believe that they SHOULD be translated because
> there seem to be a lot of divers who aren't familiar with the English
> terms and English abbreviations.

Having them as translatable strings gives the translator the freedom
to do as he please. I.e. I have just copied over some of the terms and
translated those that I have good terms in Finnish. I have to admit
that it was a problem before I realized that I can do just that.
Anyway, I am quite certain that in some languages it makes sense to
translate them and in some others it does not.

> What do people here on the list who aren't diving in an English speaking
> context think about that statement?

Unfortunately I am not familiar at all with the Finnish diving
vocabulary at all, so I wouldn't trust myself too heavily in whatever
I stated above :D

miika