Diveplanner questions

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 00:41:33 PDT 2017

On 10 March 2017 at 19:34, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:

> On 10 March, 2017 - Anton Lundin wrote:
>
> > On 09 March, 2017 - John Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I am playing with the planner and have a few questions, hopefully
> showing my lack of knowledge rather than bugs [😊]
> > >

> > > I have 4.6.3.36 running on W10.
> > >

> > > Firstly, although i have all the ascent rates set to 10m/min, the
> ascent rate in the profile window shows 9m/min.
> > >

> > After some testing, i think this is due to that all the spinboxes
> > doesn't trigger update on the plan. Try to change the depth or duration
> > up and down and the plan will be re-calculated with the right values.
>
> Nope. It wasn't. I was just a bad tester.
>
> Its just a artifact of which depths and time steps that the planner
> works with. Ex, if you change all the Ascent speeds to 15m/min, the
> profile for that dive will be 15m/min.
>
> The planner tries to match the configured Ascent speeds, but if they
> don't align with the depth/time, it errors to the side of caution, and
> accents a bit slower.
>

> Yes, it is a pretty minor rounding error, but it's worse than it needs to
be.  The planner works in 2s increments, so ascending at 10m/min means each
3m stop interval should take exactly 18s, but we take 18s to ascend 2.998m
(166.66667 mm/s is truncated to 166mm/s rather than rounded to 167mm/s), so
add an extra 2s increment, resulting in 10m/min.  I just submitted a patch
to round the ascent and descent rates when setting the preference.

Cheers,

Rick