WIP - Tabbs rework

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Mon Mar 13 06:19:14 PDT 2017

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 11:41 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Hi Tomaz,
>
> It's great to see that you are working on things! I had assumed that I'd
> have more time this weekend to work on things, but it turned out I got
> side tracked with all the pull requests and with fixing the unit system
> change bug in the mobile apps...
>
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 11:53:16AM +0100, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> > My time is crazy and I fear I'm taking too long to finish this because I
> > just don't find the time to work, sorry.
>
> I know how that feels.
>
> > This is the current WIP, there's still a bit of things to be done, I
> would
> > appreciate some help finishing this.
>
> It would help if you told us what help you need.
>

> this is *NOT* a rework like the preferences that added a lot of code for
> > little gain, this doesn't adds a lot of code (actually, almost nothing)
> and
> > the gain is big.
>
> And it would help to understand what that gain is.

The current code holds 6 tabs with all of the logic for saving / updating
restoring a dive, a trip, an dive plan, copy/pasting, etc. all this in one
file.

This series tries to rework a few things:
- Each tab has it's own header / source, so it's easier to make sure we are
actually changing what we wanna change
- Less interconectivity with the MainWindow and other widgets, trying to
keep the state more sane.
- Smaller ui files, because a single ui file is massive and sometimes we
need to choose strange names on the widges to not have clashes.
- a better, overall, code sanity.

> The series doesn't apply cleanly for me because my tooling tries to fix
> some of the obvious white space garbage as it applies things, and then of
> course patches that contain the white space garbage no longer apply.
>
> It would make my life so much easier if you just used Qt Creator with the
> same settings as the rest of us, but I guess that ship has sailed and I
> just should stop even asking for that. Which means it might be easier if
> you just point me to the branch on github that I can pull from (because
> then my tooling won't mess things up).

Sorry - I have a lot of different projects here (work, kde, subsurface),
and all them uses a different code style.
The better approach should be QtCreator / KDevelop, whatever, to have
different styles per project, but currently it's a no-go.
I'll squash them and use clang-format to have a sane code that you can
apply.

> Anyway, after I applied the 42 patches things compile and I get a mostly
> working UI - but again, I'm not sure what I should be looking at, what I
> should be working on.

I'm not changing the code from master, mostly I'm trying to reason with the
master code and split it into the different files that I created, so in
theory things should still work.
but there are tons of TODOs that I added to the code.

> Clearly the Equipment tab and Extra Info tab are non-functional.
> Statistics and Photo tab seems unchanged (or identical).
> There are small functional issues with the Notes tab (specifically, the
> Depth and Duration fields that should only be shown if this is a manually
> entered dive are always shown), but other than that this seems reasonably
> complete.
>
> I can easily push this into a branch on github, but unless the rest of us
> understand better
>
> - what are you doing?

Splitting maintab.cpp because it's a mess

> - why are you doing it (i.e., what's the benefit)?

Smaller functions, better code quality, better to understand what's going
on.

> - where would it make sense for us to try to help (so that we aren't
>   changing code that you are working on right now)?
>

> I'm not quite sure what to do with this.

If you could take a look at the tab-widget/ folder I created and reason if
the changes I'm doing are good, that would be awesome already.
what I need is a "looks fine, continue" - because in my current timeframe I
don't wanna work in something that you think it's unecessary.

Tomaz