question about technical terms and translations

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 15:45:01 PDT 2017

In Italy it's a mess (like a lot of other matters).

In Italy usually we do not translate most of the IT terms (even if there is
a perfect Italian term). File is file and a computer is a computer.
We tend to leave untranslated technical diving terms too. Of course there
is some local diving agency who translate them but everybody understand the
original.
I translated most of the Subsurface files and I tried to be consistent
leaving them in English.

PS

Dirk would be nice having a public place where to bookmark useful resources
for translators. I posted them here nearly two yeasr ago.They should be the
bible for any new translator coming around. We should find a way to present
them by default.
Basically a lot of sentences and terms comes from IT and having the
opportunity to see how they are translated in world renowned commercial
products is a plus and help a lot to be consistent (and not reinvent the
wheel).

This was my old email: