Automatic tests - a few general questions

Stefan Fuchs sfuchs at gmx.de
Thu Mar 16 11:36:17 PDT 2017

Hi Dirk,

Am 16.03.2017 um 18:55 schrieb Dirk Hohndel:

>> On Mar 16, 2017, at 10:25 AM, Stefan Fuchs <sfuchs at gmx.de
>> <mailto:sfuchs at gmx.de>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> currently I try to learn how the automatic tests work :-)
>> I think I almost understood what I have to do to add automatic tests
>> for the minimum gas calculation but I first have a few general questions:
>>
>> - In linux build building the tests is ON by default, in mxe build it
>> is OFF. Could we switch this ON there by default as well?
>>

> This is simply a CMake variable - so your build script can pass in ON or
> OFF as you want.
Yes, this is what the mxe-based-build.sh is doing. But it is hard coded
to OFF inside the script. I was wondering if we can (should?) change
this to ON to be in line with the default for the linux build which is ON.
https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/master/packaging/windows/mxe-based-build.sh#L299

>> - My assumption is that if building tests is ON, the tests will be
>> run as well during build. For linux this should work immediately. For
>> mxe build I need wine to run the windows exe files. I installed wine
>> and in fact I can now run the exe tests under linux. But I'm still
>> not sure if they are automatically run during build (both linux and
>> MXE). Where will the test results go? There is nothing in build.log
>> or winbuild.log or stdout.
>>

> Tests are NOT automatically run when doing a build - and I'd find this
> extremely annoying when I'm working on a feature, TBH.
Yes, you're right. For me this would be even worse with my slow HW ;-(
My misunderstanding comes from reading these lines:
https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/master/tests/CMakeLists.txt#L66
I thought this is preparing to run the tests during build because it
checks for wine? Or is this obsolete? Or am I simply not reading this
correctly?

Best regards
Stefan

--