[Subsurface-divelog/subsurface] Recreational dive planner (#262)

Stefan Fuchs sfuchs at gmx.de
Sun Mar 19 03:26:13 PDT 2017

Hello Jan,

Am 19.03.2017 um 09:53 schrieb janmulder:

> Ok, I never use the Subsurface planner IRL so I might be confused how
> thing are supposed to work. So when working on a translation of the
> user manual (to Dutch), I sometimes find functionality that I just try
> on the current master.
>
> Intrigued by a sentence in the user manual "/Subsurface/ will
> automatically extend the bottom section of the dive to the maximum
> duration within the no-decompression limits (NDL)." from the
> Recreational dive planner section, I try to plan a recreational dive
> following the procedure in the user manual. I expect to end up with a
> dive with at least reserve pressure, with a maximum bottom time
> without any deco obligation.
>
> It is unclear to me how to trigger the "automatically extend the
> bottom section". It lets me drag the waypoints, sometimes I see a
> minor snap to a different value, but, in general, this does not lead
> to a bottom phase on NDL. Tried to drag points, alter the table, but
> to no avail.
>
> Seems a bug to me.

I was in a similar situation a few days ago when I had to decide how to
implement and document the minimum gas calculation for the planner:
I also had to learn how the recreational mode really works - I never
used it before.
But my result was that after the idea became clear to me and I double
checked a few results by e.g. calculating gas consumption I felt very
happy with the results and started to like the implementation. So no bug
found on my side.
One hint: As soon as you use such tiny small cylinders like 10l <g> most
probably gas consumption and reserve gas will be the limiting factor.

BTW: I copied this to the mailing list.

Best regards
Stefan

--