[Subsurface-divelog/subsurface] Recreational dive planner (#262)

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 19 13:29:43 PDT 2017

On 19-03-17 21:13, Robert Helling wrote:
> Jan,
>
>> On 19 Mar 2017, at 13:59, Jan Mulder <jlmulder at xs4all.nl
>> <mailto:jlmulder at xs4all.nl>> wrote:
>>
>> I understand where I was thinking the wrong way. I had set slow
>> ascent speeds, and did not really notice the change of scale of the
>> entire window when changing data of the profile. What is still
>> counter intuitive for me, is that it is called recreational dive
>> mode, but taking into account slow ascend speed (3m/min from 50% up,
>> 1m/min from 6m) you still can achieve TTS values of 20 minutes (for a
>> dive to 30m). The counter intuitive part for me is, that I am not
>> aware of any recreational dive courses that take into account
>> different ascend speeds depending of depth. Obviously, this is
>> something very well known in the technical diving scene. And TTS of
>> 20 minutes can hardly be considered recreational.
>>

> It uses the ascent speeds that you set. Would your rather assume some
> standard speed like 18m/min or 10m/min? I don’t think this would be a
> good idea.

Yes, I now understand that the planner is using the entered ascent
speeds also in recreational mode. Somehow, I was just thinking of the
old days with the recreational tables where there was no difference in
ascent speed over the entire water column, and was indeed assuming some
standard like 18m/min or 10m/min. But I agree that the way it works now,
is just more flexible, both catering divers that like to differentiate
and divers that like a standard ascent rate all the way.

> Just as a remark: It seems, in their most recent versions both major
> dive planning programs v-planner/multi-deco and pasta deco added their
> version recreational mode (or something like that: Stay as long on the
> bottom as the gas allows). It seems, we were trend setters somehow…

Funny, can't find it in my install of multi-deco, but I don't care
either, because that is not the way I plan dives anyway :-)

best,

--jan