trying to make progress with Subsurface-mobile

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Mar 19 15:34:21 PDT 2017

> On Mar 19, 2017, at 2:07 PM, Jan Mulder <jlmulder at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 19-03-17 20:34, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> In my testing so far I see two major differences:
>>
>> a) it seems to reliably show the correct dive (good)
> Not sure you also include the issue from today on github (Mobile: Rotating phone shows other dive #263), but that one still reproduces on my phone.
>
> Further, reproducible on a fresh restart of the app, (call dive X the top, newest dive), select X-1, and shown is X-2 with in the top bar the site of X-1.

So with the build that I pushed today, I can't reproduce either of those two.
Rotation seems to work.
Hmm. Tried a couple more times. It looks like X-1 -> X-2 I can reproduce
after all. My test (because X, X-1, and X-2 have the same dive site) has
always been "tap on X-2". And that seems to work well now.

Crazy.

>> b) when you tap on a dive that's later in time, it sometimes renders ALL
>> of the dives (in the background) and seems to be hung for a long time
>> (depending on how many dives are in your dive list, I guess), before
>> it finally shows the right one (REALLY bad)
> Indeed a nasty one that reproduces on my phone. For me, It hangs for about 40 seconds and than the app
> is killed; logcat shows out of memory, and inspection with top shows indeed steady growth in memory use.

It does suck up a ton of memory because it renders all of your dives and
all the profiles. And while QML *should* reclaim the memory, that doesn't
appear to work reliably. I just wish I understood, why it does that whole
"render everything" thing...

>> I guess that's progress? Not sure.
> Not sure either, happy that I have a test phone for this :-)

It's definitely a mixed bag :-(

>> Testing and help in fixing the problem would be very welcome
>
> Lets see that I get my android build working again ... tomorrow

That would be great. This needs more eyeballs.

I'll also ask on the Kirigami list if this sounds familiar to anyone.
Of course we are still on Kirigami 1.1 - so I couldn't blame them
if they told us to upgrade to Kirigami 2, first :-)