trying to make progress with Subsurface-mobile

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 13:32:36 PDT 2017

On 20 Mar 2017 06:35, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2017, at 5:10 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> I spent a day trying to fix the selection bug in Subsurface-mobile that
> Willem and others have reported. When you tap on a dive in the dive list,
> you often (but not always) get the next dive down the list (i.e., the dive
> one before the dive that you wanted, given the ordering of the dive list).
>
> In the process I think I managed to clean up some of the code and remove
> some obsolete code, but unfortunately the problem itself still isn't
> fixed. Certain cases that used to reliably fail now work at times, but it
> still isn't "simply correct".
>
> I thought I understood how our use of the QML ListView works, and I'm
> baffled why the wrong item is shown. Printing debug output isn't all that
> helpful because this is not a procedural language, so it's hard to make
> sure that the debug code actually runs when you want it to run.
>
> Any help would be welcome. I'm running out of time today, I'll try to make
> new beta apps for Android and iOS so people can test.

A new Android apk is in daily: http://subsurface-divelog.org/
downloads/daily/Subsurface-mobile-4.6.3.132-arm.apk

I've tested that daily a little. On my Samsung Galaxy s6.

I also have a new iOS build, but that I need to send to the Beta channel
because I can't create a .ipa that will install on a random iOS device
(thanks,
Apple). Then again, we have only ~250 users on iOS, so this isn't really
a popular platform for us.

In my testing so far I see two major differences:

a) it seems to reliably show the correct dive (good)

I'm reliably shown the correct dive.

b) when you tap on a dive that's later in time, it sometimes renders ALL
of the dives (in the background) and seems to be hung for a long time
(depending on how many dives are in your dive list, I guess), before
it finally shows the right one (REALLY bad)

I can't reproduce that.

I guess that's progress? Not sure.

Testing and help in fixing the problem would be very welcome

I'm not able to do any fixing at the moment but happy to test when I get
the chance.

A couple of small but annoying bugs I noticed:
In editing dive notes, the Android keyboard never automatically capitalizes
the first letter of a sentence. In other apps it does. Not sure if this can
be changed in qml.

The back button from the gps preferences (possibly some other pages too)
doesn't work. Hit it a second time and the app closes.

Cheers,

Rick