Planner screencast

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 30 08:17:12 PDT 2017

On 30-03-17 15:56, Robert Helling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since I am under the impression that many of our users are not fully
> aware of the planner features in Subsurface (and since nobody reads
> manuals), I had the plan to record a screencast of how the planner
> works. Turns out this is harder to do than I thought. But last night,
> I recorded a first attempt and by now I finally managed to upload it
> to vimeo:
>
> https://vimeo.com/210770678  (password: subsurface)
>
> Besides my German accent and me constantly searching for words and
> then mispronouncing the ones I found, I am sure there are a million
> possible improvements. I plan to do an improved version very soon but
> first I would like to hear about your suggestions. One of the things
> that I am unsure about is if the monolithic 26min video is the way to
> go or if it would be better to break it up into 5-6min segments.

Hi Robert,

I really like your effort, and  the realization that there is room for a
million improvements :-)

As Davide already mentioned, 26 minutes is way too long, unless is it
very structured, divided in chapters, etc. A "total planner course"
could easily be this total length and even longer, covering more
advanced type of diving.

What I would like is a different point of view. Define a "problem"
first. Such as: we like to plan a recreational dive, we like to look at
differences in VPM-B and Buhlmann, we like to plan a dive to 80m with
20min bottom time, and like to compare different bailout scenario's for
that. And with that problem defined, show how it can be planned using
the planner. So a little opposite as the style it is now. Now, it
explains more or less way the program works, and not from a diving
problem to start with. Obviously, we should not try to make "an online
dive course", but I would like a "dive planning problem" to be central.

What I do not like  (and some parts of the user manual have the same
"issue"), is that examples are given that are not considered save diving
practice (any more). Such as deep air, not respecting MOD of gasses when
pointing and clicking trough a dive profile. And the striking example
from the user manual (ok I get side tracked :-) is a PSCR dive with the
last 20 minutes of the profile in the hypoxic zone of the selected gas.
Like I said on github: do not try this at home.

--jan