git submodules

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Nov 10 12:31:28 PST 2017

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> I think we should add those two projects as git submodules to Subsurface. That will make it
> so much easier to always have a matching version of the three components when you build
> Subsurface. I'll admit that I'm on the fence regarding libgit2, but for libdivecomputer this seems
> to be the obvious solution.

It may work well for is, and I agree that it makes conceptual sense,
but I do have to say that git submodules aren't necessarily wonderful.

So there may be some pain involved due to a learning curve, and
because git submodules end up being (by design!) not very tightly
integrated into the top-level project.

Of course, the "not very tightly integrated" may actually be a good
thing in our case, and matches what we do now (which is obviously even
*less* integrated).

So I think it could be a good idea, but I do want to warn you:
submodules can be confusing. I would expect the occasional colorful
language until people get used to them.

            Linus