git submodules

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Nov 10 12:35:24 PST 2017

On Nov 10, 2017, at 12:31 PM, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think we should add those two projects as git submodules to Subsurface. That will make it
>> so much easier to always have a matching version of the three components when you build
>> Subsurface. I'll admit that I'm on the fence regarding libgit2, but for libdivecomputer this seems
>> to be the obvious solution.
>
> It may work well for is, and I agree that it makes conceptual sense,
> but I do have to say that git submodules aren't necessarily wonderful.
>
> So there may be some pain involved due to a learning curve, and
> because git submodules end up being (by design!) not very tightly
> integrated into the top-level project.
>
> Of course, the "not very tightly integrated" may actually be a good
> thing in our case, and matches what we do now (which is obviously even
> *less* integrated).
>
> So I think it could be a good idea, but I do want to warn you:
> submodules can be confusing. I would expect the occasional colorful
> language until people get used to them.

Oh this sounds so promising.
Do tell us about the hiccups you expect - assuming there are “typical”
pitfalls beyond “our build scripts and tooling need to change”. As you
may have noticed, I’ve started to restructure the way we build things
and intend to continue to do so since what we have now is an insane
mess that reflects the mental status of its main author (i.e., me).