BLE downloads under Linux / AppImage

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Nov 10 12:48:09 PST 2017

Adding the mailing list back in (with Stuart’s permission) and changing the subject line to be more appropriate…

On Nov 10, 2017, at 11:18 AM, Stuart Vernon <stuartv at force2.net> wrote:

> I am now running the latest AppImage.

Which of course is literally constantly changing, so it’s always important to say /which/ AppImage.
And as your example shows, we apparently get the version output wrong right now. Oops. Something to work on.

> When I try to select BT download mode, it says “Cannot find local adapter”. Actually, it says that at the bottom of the main window, before I even open the Import Dives dialog.

That’s odd - but then I haven’t tested the latest AppImage on my laptop that runs Linux on the hardware. Most all of my work is inside of VMs (that may in part be influenced by where I work :-) )

> When I go into the Remote Bluetooth device selection dialog, the Local Bluetooth device details boxes for Name and Address both say “Not available”. With the released 5.7.2, those boxes would have stuff filled in and the Scan button was not greyed out and the Discovered devices list would show the Perdix.

I assume you mean the 4.7.2 release? And I assume you mean the “native” binaries on Mint (the Ubuntu PPA), not the AppImage (since we never released a 4.7.2 AppImage - we are still trying to get the AppImage to be fully functional, which is why I brought this back to the mailing list.

> I DO have the Bluetooth dongle that came with my Perdix AI installed on my laptop. Without it, I don’t think my Perdix would have ever showed up in the list of BT devices – e.g. in the Bluetooth Manager app.

That dongle is known to do BT 4.0 (which you need to talk to the Perdix AI).

> ---- subsurface.log contents ----
> Subsurface: v, built with libdivecomputer v0.6.0-devel-Subsurface-branch (7de3a549ee588fef4702ee9d894e390aca43950d)

Oops. Yeah, gotta fix the version :-)

> INFO: Open: name=LE:C2:02:D6:CD:61:A8
> ERROR: Failed to open the serial port. [in ../../src/shearwater_common.c:46 (shearwater_common_open)]
> --- /subsurface.log contents ---
>
> Here is what I get with the –v switch:
>
> stuartv at Force2Mint ~/Downloads $ ./Subsurface-d1d4b4e-x86_64.AppImage -v
> QApplication: invalid style override passed, ignoring it.
> Subsurface v,
> built with libdivecomputer v0.6.0-devel-Subsurface-branch (7de3a549ee588fef4702ee9d894e390aca43950d)
> built with Qt Version 5.9.3, runtime from Qt Version 5.9.3
> built with libgit2 0.26.0

This is good, 5.9.3 is a white lie btw, it’s the latest of the 5.9 branch as of two days ago.

> validateGL(): created OpenGLContext.
> validateGL(): obtained QOpenGLFunctions.
> validateGL(): detected OpenGL version 3.3.
> Plugins Directory:  QDir( "/tmp/.mount_SubsuriDrdC8/usr/bin" , nameFilters = { "*" },  QDir::SortFlags( Name | IgnoreCase ) , QDir::Filters( Dirs|Files|Drives|AllEntries ) )
> qml: MapWidget.qml: cannot find a plugin named: googlemaps

> qrc:/MapWidget.qml:21: Error: Cannot assign [undefined] to QDeclarativeGeoMapType*

The VERY latest AppImage (as of an hour ago) fixes that, Googlemaps now work.

> Starting download from  BT
> Starting the thread 0
> INFO: FTDI disabled
> qt.bluetooth: Dummy backend running. Qt Bluetooth module is non-functional.

THAT is clearly the source of the problem. We are not talking to the actual BT backend.
The rest is just a consequence of this error.

> qt_ble_open( C2:02:D6:CD:61:A8 )
> failed to connect to the controller  C2:02:D6:CD:61:A8 with error "Cannot find local adapter"
> [0.001390] ERROR: Failed to open the serial port. [in ../../src/shearwater_common.c:46 (shearwater_common_open)]
> INFO: dc_deveice_open error value of -6
> Finishing the thread Error opening the device %s %s (%s).
> In most cases, in order to debug this issue, a libdivecomputer logfile will be useful.
> You can create this logfile by selecting the corresponding checkbox in the download dialog. dives downloaded 0
> Set the current dive site: 2075573128
> Starting download from  BT
> Starting the thread 0
> INFO: FTDI disabled
> qt_ble_open( C2:02:D6:CD:61:A8 )
> failed to connect to the controller  C2:02:D6:CD:61:A8 with error "Cannot find local adapter"
> INFO: dc_deveice_open error value of -6
> Finishing the thread Error opening the device %s %s (%s).
> In most cases, in order to debug this issue, a libdivecomputer logfile will be useful.
> You can create this logfile by selecting the corresponding checkbox in the download dialog. dives downloaded 0
> Set the current dive site: 2075573128

I left the rest just for completeness.

We need to figure out why we are not talking to BT. Simon, any idea?