map-widget: new suggestions for editing markers

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 08:48:53 PST 2017

On 9 November 2017 at 19:43, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 November 2017 at 07:40, Willem Ferguson
> <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>> From phone.
>> Issue 1:
>> This is the most difficult one. I support showing the map focused on the
>> last recorded dive site but zoomed out to the "regional" level. For me in
>> south Africa I would amost like to see the southern half of the continent
>> for a large probability of having  the new dive site within scope. Also,
>> having the new and movable flag at the last dive site may be confusing.
>> There is a case to be made for centering the new flag within the scope of
>> the map. But maybe that would partly recreate the existing problem of having
>> to zoom in a lot before placing the flag. However that would still be my
>> personal preference.
>>
>> Issue 2:
>> I support the proposal.
>> Kind regards, Willem
>>

> made a PR for this:
> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/pull/793

Stefan added new suggestions about this.
you can try the latest changes in master and discuss/ACK/NAK what he says.

------------------------
@neolit123
Took me some time until I was able to test the improvements. Great work!
But... <g>
I immediately have more suggestions:

What is a great "side effect" of the new strategy is the following:
After creating a new dive site for a new dive if the user
"accidentally" already moves the map to the right location before
pressing the "edit dive site" button this work is not lost when
pressing the dive site button because the marker is created at the
current map center. Thats great. But currently there is the strong
need to once grab the marker then to have the gps coordinates copied
to the edit field and to have it saved. Why not immediately copy the
initial coordinates once. Maybe the marker is already at the 100%
exact position and the user just wants to press "apply".
If you now enter coordinates directly by keyboard this is reflected
immediately in the marker position. BUT the map is not following the
marker. So very often the marker will be out of sight and you have to
find it by zooming out. The map should follow the marker in this case
while keeping the current zoom level.