[RFC] Changes to Bluetooth device selection dialog

Berthold Stoeger bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Nov 11 09:40:23 PST 2017

On Sonntag, 5. November 2017 22:59:07 CET Berthold Stoeger wrote:

> I tried to modify the behavior of the Bluetooth (BT) device selection dialog
> and would need some feedback. Unfortunately, BT is highly platform
> dependent and I have no idea how this behaves with non-Bluez 5 backends.
>
> The idea was that when I activate the BT device selection dialog I certainly
> don't want an empty list of devices. Because that means that I have to
> click "Scan" in all cases. Ideally, I'd immediately get the BT devices
> known to the OS (especially the paired ones). It seems that Qt does not
> provide such a list (an API defect?). But looking into the Qt Bluez5
> backend of
> QBluetoothDeviceDiscoveryAgent, these devices are collected synchronously in
> the start() method.

I tried to think about other ways to achieve this, but in the end I came full
circle. :( My new idea was to always let the BT scan run while the BT device
selection dialog is visible. After all, this is not a phone where battery is
much of an issue. But trying to implement this, I realized that the current
code supports multiple local BT devices and at the moment I have no way to
test this. If I find someone with a BT USB-dongle, I will try again.

So I'm going to create a pull request with my old approach [start()/stop()].
It does the right thing for me on Kubuntu, but will probably need some
polishing on other OS. This is still RFC status, so please don't apply close
to release.

Berthold