OK, this is pretty cool

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Nov 12 00:01:10 PST 2017

> On Nov 11, 2017, at 11:49 PM, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:
>
> I had a old .travis.yml building Subsurface on os x:
> https://github.com/glance-/subsurface/blob/obsolete/master_travis_osx/.travis.yml

I took a quick look. So easy. If only it was that easy for me. But then it's always possible
that I'm just doing something really stupid.

I absolutely cannot get googlemaps to build. I have simply given up to deal with that later because otherwise I might punch something.
The above is based on Marble and it uses an old Qt which included WebKit.

Today we need Qt 5.9.1+ with QtWebKit so we need to build this ourselves.
Googlemaps happily compiles against EXACTLY that Qt installation here on my Mac. And fails in a million idiotic ways with qmake errors when used on Travis.

> I also have a version which builds a android apk:
> https://github.com/glance-/subsurface/blob/master_travis_android_docker/.travis.yml

Cool, definitely something we should add. Feel free to bring this up to the latest master and send a pull request!

> I like the trick of running a docker container with the dependencies we
> need for running the build in. That way you get full control of the
> environment and you don't need to rely on the quite messy travis images.

I don't know how to do that in general and I don't think we can do this for Mac in particular.

> The only other thing I can recommend is to automate building our MXE
> environment and our Qt-builds to.

I don't know what that would gain me. On a machine that I can ssh into (or that's local to me) I can usually get these builds going.
Except making it 100 times harder and a 1000 times more painful, what would be the benefit of doing this?