OK, this is pretty cool

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Sun Nov 12 00:52:42 PST 2017

On 12 November, 2017 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> > On Nov 11, 2017, at 11:49 PM, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:
> >
> > I had a old .travis.yml building Subsurface on os x:
> > https://github.com/glance-/subsurface/blob/obsolete/master_travis_osx/.travis.yml
>
> I took a quick look. So easy. If only it was that easy for me. But then it's always possible
> that I'm just doing something really stupid.
>
> I absolutely cannot get googlemaps to build. I have simply given up to deal with that later because otherwise I might punch something.
> The above is based on Marble and it uses an old Qt which included WebKit.
>
> Today we need Qt 5.9.1+ with QtWebKit so we need to build this ourselves.
> Googlemaps happily compiles against EXACTLY that Qt installation here on my Mac. And fails in a million idiotic ways with qmake errors when used on Travis.

Yea, its a old and obsolete variant. Just trying to give you some
examples on how it was done once back in time.

Btw. What still requires QtWebKit? Printing?

> > I also have a version which builds a android apk:
> > https://github.com/glance-/subsurface/blob/master_travis_android_docker/.travis.yml
>
> Cool, definitely something we should add. Feel free to bring this up to the latest master and send a pull request!

The matrix-bits are already there so it should be a quite quick thing to
do. I'll try to get it done.

> > I like the trick of running a docker container with the dependencies we
> > need for running the build in. That way you get full control of the
> > environment and you don't need to rely on the quite messy travis images.
>
> I don't know how to do that in general and I don't think we can do this for Mac in particular.

Thats the trick used in the android builds above.

> > The only other thing I can recommend is to automate building our MXE
> > environment and our Qt-builds to.
>
> I don't know what that would gain me. On a machine that I can ssh into (or that's local to me) I can usually get these builds going.
> Except making it 100 times harder and a 1000 times more painful, what would be the benefit of doing this?

It will give us the same benefit as having travis doing our builds. Yea,
you did them by hand for quite a while, now travis does them for us.

Its easier for others to replicate, reproduce and debug if the scripts
to build those tar-balls where available, and even better if travis
produced them by it self.

A good sysadmin replaces him self with as much automation as possible =)

Or now when Star Trek is running again:

Dammit Jim - I'm A Sysadmin not a Babysitter

//Anton - Who's a babysitter once again

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604