RFC: Subsurface 1-dive print layout

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 10:20:09 PST 2017

On 12 November 2017 at 19:47, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
> Attached is a print layout file and PDF rendering of a dive in the
> 1-dive-per-page version. The existing 1-dive layout has irked me quite a bit
> and for some time. Therefore I have messed a bit with the css/javascript to
> produce something that I think is closer to what I prefer. Note that the
> vertical boxes scale to the height required. For instance, if the box
> showing Location name requires more depth because of multiple lines, the
> other boxes in the RH column adapt accordingly. The box for the dive notes
> also scales to adapt to the amount of text.
>
> If someone more proficient than myself in css/javascript is prepared to look
> through the code, I would really appreciate it. Some of the stuff is really
> hacky.
>
> But if I could have a few comments on whether this really represents an
> improvement and not merely a hack to suit Ferguson's taste, I would
> appreciate it.

i'm far from a CSS expert myself, even if technically i maintain the
templates in subsurface nowadays.
i would say that the if this works for you - that's great!

i can comment on this bit:
> "// number of characters in the string"
this isn't a very portable way because if you change the font the
calculations might end up being wrong without estimating actual font
glyph metrics.

it's probably best if we leave the stock template without the
auto-expansion, as it getting it right might be difficult for us - the
non-experts.
maybe, if we start getting *a lot* of change-requests about this we
can ponder on the best ways of doing it.

lubomir