Problem accessing cloud behind a proxy

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Nov 15 05:44:41 PST 2017

> On Nov 15, 2017, at 2:09 AM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:
>>
>> Cloud storage: successfully checked connection to cloud server
>> git storage: fetch remote
>> git storage: Successful cloud connection, fetch remote
>> remote fetch failed (Failed to set proxy: Parametro non corretto.
>> )
>> git storage: Done syncing with cloud storage
>

> I looked for the origin of this error message. “remote fetch failed” is Subsurface talking, “failed to set proxy” is libgit2. This only occurs in winhttp.c when a call to WinHttpSetOption fails.
>
> So I googled for that call and found
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/windows/desktop/aa384114(v=vs.85).aspx <https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/windows/desktop/aa384114(v=vs.85).aspx>
>
> Most of this I don’t understand (having touched no windows system for a very long time. But my guess that the only thing that could be non-corretto would be the proxy url (and that part of the code that has this error message is only run when proxy_url is non-NULL). But of course it should be empty (and the fact that Subsurface says earlier "delete proxy setting” should mean that that parameter got deleted.
>
> So it would be interesting to know what libgit2 thinks should be the proxy url.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot build windows binaries but if anybody can I would say it’s worth trying to apply this patch to llibgit2 and then see what it produces.

Fun fact: if you push to a branch on Subsurface-divelog/subsurface (which you can, Robert), the CI will build a Windows binary for you. And even for a PR it will do that (and the log will show you where on transfer.sh the binary can be found.

What I noticed when trying to debug Davide's problem before (the problem that on Windows we don't support a proxy with password) is that libgit2 apparently is talking directly to winhttp and that that doesn't understand proxy URLs with password embedded in them. So clearly Davide is correct and his previous proxy settings are somehow retained.

I got side-tracked by all the Travis work and didn't continue to investigate this - I had started a branch where I was trying to use the new proxy callback feature in libgit2 0.26 to try to work around this issue.

BTW, Davide, are you testing a binary from downloads/testing, or a binary from GitHub? Those are slightly different - but both of them should handle settings the same way... IIRC I switched the on on GitHub around to no longer link against libcurl as clearly that proxy functionality wasn't used on Windows...