Problem accessing cloud behind a proxy

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Nov 15 07:56:00 PST 2017

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 04:44:24PM +0100, Davide DB wrote:
> On 15 November 2017 at 16:28, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> > The interesting thing to me is that "Checking cloud connection..."
> > "Successful cloud connection".
> > Which means that the teapot worked, which means that Qt was able to use
> > the proxy information that you entered.
> > It's only libgit2 that somehow can't get things to work right :-(
>
> Ok, so in the meantime... From my previous log without proxy I saw that at
> a certain point aI was able to download dives but then I got a local rename
> error.

I was hoping that Lubomir had an idea what that was all about.

> What does it mean? And what does it mean "*Linus does not like non-fat milk*"
> :)

That's part of our I AM A TEAPOT protocol.
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2324.txt
https://sitesdoneright.com/blog/2013/03/what-is-418-im-a-teapot-status-code-error

Strictly speaking our use of the 418 return to authenticate that we are
talking to our own server is incorrect in that 4xx codes are errors, yet
we take the code (together with the correct response text message of
"Linus does not like non-far milk" (which is, btw, a true statement)) to
mean that we are actually talking to our cloud backend and not some
impostor in the middle.

> Sorry for being a pita but now are several months I don't use Subsurface. I
> have most of my "empty" dives on my mobile phone.

I will admit that I'm embarrassed by that. And I will continue to work on
my attempt to implement proxy authentication differently.

I will also admit that you appear to be the only person I know who's only
access to a computer is a computer behind an authentication-only reverse
proxy firewall. The mere idea that someone wouldn't own a laptop that they
could use at home or at a coffee shop in order to connect to the internet
is... rather hard to understand for me. Given what I make an hour in my
day job and the amount of time I have spent on this so far, I can
comfortably say that it would be significantly easier if I just bought
such a laptop and sent it to you...

Only half joking.