mobile: android splash screen (and issue 513) opacity weirdness

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 16 13:06:53 PST 2017

While investigating issue #513 ([Bug] Mobile: Startup splash screens
display 2 different background color (Black then White) I found the
commit that introduces this splash screen stuff (04e994b57558ed9).
First, let me reset the complexity on GitHub from low to high :-) as the
issue is related to the app bootstrap phase on device, and there is
exactly one color defines in that whole process (which is white
background), so where the black background phase is coming from is still
is a mystery to me.

Reading mentioned commit and the referenced internet page, and
carefully reading the code in main.qml I find 2 opacity related pieces
of code commented out (by Tomaz), telling "ApplicationWindow has no
Opacity calls no more." (commit 4db80aa1a404dc). Hmm, weird. I just
looked at the Qt docs: opacity on ApplicationWindow is a property since
Qt 5.1, Tomaz: there is probably something I do not understand, but can
you explain that commit?

I enabled that opacity code again. No visible effect, so I change the
fade-in animation to 10 sec (yes ridiculous long, but ease to spot while
running the app). No visible fade in anywhere. Question for Dirk: as
original author, have you ever seen that fade in?

The referenced internet page (from commit 04e994b57558ed9), also
explains that there needs to be a QML Loader object, and we do not have
one. (So, I believe there was never a fade-in animation). I added one
... and suddenly ... I have a nice 10 seconds opacity fade-in of the app
:-) That is: on desktop.

And now it gets even more confusing. Running this changed code on
Android, results in numerous (probably 10000 (milliseconds)) error
strings in the log: "This plugin does not support setting window
opacity". So, a piece of Qt code is called that is not implemented for
Android. But ... the current app has some transparency features, for
example the toast notifications. So where is that coming from? Anybody
knows?

--jan