git: Pulling from master

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 17 02:20:40 PST 2017

On 17-11-17 10:59, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> I am  sorting out the Github mechanism for myself.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) The upstream repository. Currently there are two such repositories:
>
> i) git://subsurface.hohndel.org/subsurface.git  [git has the label
> "origin"]
>
> ii) https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface [git has the label
> "upstream"]
>
> What is the current relationship between these two repositories?

Dirk can tell that (when he wakes up), but just don't bother with the
git://subsurface.hohndel.org/subsurface.git one. You do not need it.

> $ git remote -v

my git remote -v

origin  git at github.com:janmulder/subsurface.git (fetch)
origin  git at github.com:janmulder/subsurface.git (push)
upstream        git at github.com:Subsurface-divelog/subsurface.git (fetch)
upstream        git at github.com:Subsurface-divelog/subsurface.git (push)

> I get:
>
> fork    https://github.com/willemferguson/subsurface (fetch) [this comes
> from doing git remote add fork
> https://github.com/willemferguson/subsurface ]
> fork    https://github.com/willemferguson/subsurface (push)
> origin    git://subsurface.hohndel.org/subsurface.git (fetch)
> origin    git://subsurface.hohndel.org/subsurface.git (push)
> upstream    https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface (fetch)
> upstream    https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface (push)

And I use a stupid script to get things synced:

git checkout master
git tag -d continuous # recently added to get the continuous label moved
git fetch upstream
git merge upstream/master
git push origin master # push things to my github account

--jan