mobile: android splash screen (and issue 513) opacity weirdness

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 05:57:06 PST 2017

On 17 November 2017 at 10:52, Jan Mulder <jlmulder at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 16-11-17 23:05, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>
>> since ApplicationWindow is first set to "visible = false", and only
>> set to "visible = true" on Component.onCompleted(), this might create
>> something in those lines.
>

> No, this is not relevant. When setting the visible = true from the very
> start (in main.qml), the black/white effect is still there.
>
> And I found some more weirdness in opacity context. Also the divelist is
> "faded-in" (see around line 425 of main.qml). And that one works perfectly.
> So, that is not triggering the "This plugin does not support setting window
> opacity". Obviously, opacity IN the app is something different then opacity
> on the ApplicationWindow which interfaces with the external window manager.
>
> Notice that this whole discussion comes to live over an issue 513 that is
> low-prio, but as the startup of a program gives a very solid first
> impression to user, it would be nice to get all the weirdness and flashing
> screens to a minimum.

thank you for the video,

at first i see the actual Android Activity transition.
then the splash is visible and fixed, while two background colors
change behind it.

this article right here mentions the exact same issue:
https://medium.com/e-fever/complete-guide-to-make-a-splash-screen-for-your-qml-android-application-567ca3bc70af

"That is the trick to avoid screen turns black for a while before your
main() function."

it seems to me that we are already doing what the article is
suggesting and the black / white glitch seems common.
with one exception - our subsurface_mobile_splash.9.png logo (set as
<item name="android:windowBackground">@drawable/splash</item>) has a
transparent background and you can actually see the glitch happening
behind it.

what i would do is simply add a opaque background for the
subsurface_mobile_splash.9.png and see what happens.
please, try the attached file - it adds a white background to the splash.

lubomir