[Subsurface-divelog/subsurface] Don't show cylinder pressure graph for wrong dc for merged dives (#815)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Nov 17 11:57:20 PST 2017

Linus has already responded, but this one is important to me, so I’ll chime in as well…

> On Nov 17, 2017, at 11:22 AM, Stefan Fuchs <sfuchs at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Am 17.11.2017 um 03:05 schrieb Linus Torvalds:
>> And I think it merits some cleanup first.
>>
>> Something like the attached three patches?
>>
>> NOTE! Untested. And it's not smaller than your patch. I just think
>> it's a bit more explicit about what it does, and thus maybe clearer.
>>
>> But I don't _hate_ your patch either.
> Linus, don't worry! ;-) I'm absolutely happy with the situation.
> BTW: I tested your patches with good results, answered on Github and your PR is in master now. I also sent a PR to mention this in the release notes because I had some other changes there.

That, BTW (making sure things are documented) is extremely helpful; and anyone can
do that, no programming genius required.

> It will still happen regularly that I will be the one who only can either "complain" about s.th <http://s.th/>. not working or best case suggest a concept but someone else has to do the "nice" code. I'm still far away from being a good SW developer.

If the worst that someone can say about your code is that “Linus was able to do the
same thing in a patch that was nicer”, then you are an incredibly lucky and gifted
developer.

Seriously - what matters to me, what matters to us in this project is that we make
it better. So people like you are worth your weight in gold. Not only do you point
out things that don’t work, you test things, you test solutions, you are responsive,
you write code. That’s amazing. And if sometimes we end up taking a different
patch set then that’s perfectly ok and we all should be happy.

And also, we have quite a few people here who point out things that don’t work
and who test and re-test and who maybe draw better UI layouts (thinking of Davide)
but who don’t write a single line of code.

Those, too, are really important to a project like Subsurface. Because there’s no
way the developers can test all platforms, all dive computers, all types of divers.
For example - very few of the active developers use Subsurface to plan dives.
So it’s the users who do who provide all this important feedback.

And then there are the translators, the people writing the documentation. Etc. Etc.

It takes a lot of people who contribute to make this the project that it is. And everyone’s
contributions are welcome.

Specifically: Stefan, I really appreciate the tremendous contributions you have made
to Subsurface this past year. Thank you.