bool different in C and C++?

Berthold Stoeger bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Nov 18 09:26:24 PST 2017

On Samstag, 18. November 2017 17:34:59 CET Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 18 November 2017 at 18:19, Berthold Stoeger
> > On the other hand, many of the boolean settings are indeed defined as
> > short. Shouldn't this be made consistent?
>
> both sizeof(short) and sizeof(bool) are implementation defined.
> i think this can be changed, yes...and let's see if we break
> something; bool should be mostly 1 byte everywhere.

Sure, but can these definitions be different for C and C++ on any sane
platform? The current code seems to assume that they are the same, otherwise
pref.h would break in horrible ways, wouldn't it?

By the way, I wasn't suggesting bool over short, just that it should be either
one or the other. Not a completely random mix as it is now. So I take you
would vote for bool?

Berthold