ReleaseNotes.txt and merge conflicts

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Mon Nov 27 16:05:59 PST 2017

On Monday, 27 November 2017 14:19:50 PST Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> maybe we can think of a mechanic to avoid the release note conflicts,
> as these are more common now that everyone edits the file next to a
> pull request.

The way we do in Qt is to add it to the commit message. Later, in the release
process, we run a script that collects all entries and produces the file.

If we want to use the Qt script, the format is:

[ChangeLog][Area1][Area2] Text text.

The Area2 is optional. Each entry is a separate Git commit message paragraph,
so it can be wrapped around multiple lines and needs to be separated from
other text (including other entries) by a blank line. See as an example:

http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/commit/?
id=92ca09147fc239762927595165f71a0d1ecff98f