ReleaseNotes.txt and merge conflicts

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 16:42:59 PST 2017

On 28 November 2017 at 02:07, Thiago Macieira <thiago at macieira.org> wrote:
> On Monday, 27 November 2017 15:18:19 PST Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>> > Isn’t this what we are looking for:
>> >
>> > http://krlmlr.github.io/using-gitattributes-to-avoid-merge-conflicts/
>>
>> i think, yes. that's exactly what we are looking for.
>> i wonder if it would work with the current ReleaseNotes.txt layout
>> where lines are inserted at the bottom of a new release and on top of
>> old ones. i guess i can test it.
>
> Since we're using GitHub itself to do the merges, can you confirm that it does
> respect this .gitattributes attribute?

i've just tried it a couple of times and it seems that it doesn't
support the `merge=union` attribute.
the github UI still gives "Can’t automatically merge".

github issues like this one:
https://github.com/isaacs/github/issues/487
suggest that Gitlab already supports merge=union, but Github still doesn't.

users are proposing a tool called `git-merge-changelog`
https://github.com/isaacs/github/issues/560

but to me it seems that one has to build a custom Git or a Git plugin
got use it:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=lib/git-merge-changelog.c

in the meantime i like what Qt is doing and we can end up with a similar systax:

-------------------------------
commit title

commit message body
commit message body
commit message body

[ReleaseNote]
- ReleaseNote text...
  ReleaseNote text...
  ReleaseNote text...
[/ReleaseNote]

then write a script (perhaps in perl) that goes from start to end
commit and collects all release notes.

lubomir