ReleaseNotes.txt and merge conflicts

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Nov 27 18:48:18 PST 2017

> On Nov 27, 2017, at 5:13 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> .gitattributes
> /ReleaseNotes.txt -text merge=union
>
> so it seems that it doesn't like the layout of your file:
> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/f39e9001862f0550bc126d5fa0cd57a16657f755/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotes.txt
>
> if one adds on this line (per our layout) or at the bottom of the file:
> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/f39e9001862f0550bc126d5fa0cd57a16657f755/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotes.txt#L27
>
> instead of line 1:
> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/f39e9001862f0550bc126d5fa0cd57a16657f755/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotes.txt#L1
>
> it does't work and it creates a merge conflict.
> so it only works if adding on top of the file...
>
> to not have to change the layout of ReleaseNotes.txt, we can create a
> new file called ReleaseNotesStub.txt (not a good name)
> and make changes to it, where we instruct commits to add release notes
> on line 1.
>
> but i'm not sure how well it would work even if only adding on top of the file.

We should try this - but in a simpler way. Have an actual Changelog style file instead of the current format.
So change ReleaseNotes.txt to simply say "As of v4.7.5 we are tracking the changes in the Changelog file"
I can come up with a way to add the version markers in the Changelog file automatically at release time.
And if I feel ambitious, I can even copy things over

Thanks for figuring this out, Lubomir!