Cylinder vs. tank -

Bill Perry bperrybap at opensource.billsworld.billandterrie.com
Tue Nov 28 10:08:55 PST 2017

I believe that the answer of changing to the term "cylinder" from "tank" is no.

Here is is the reason.
Most manufacturers appear to have settled on the term "tank" not "cylinder".
I checked several manuals.

Aeris Atmos AI
Aeris Atmos Elite
Aeris A300 CS
Atomic Cobalt
Aqualung i750tc
Aqualung i550
Mares Icon HD
Oceanic OCI
Oceanic vtx
Scubapro Aladin h
Scubapro Mantis 2
Scubapro g2
Scubapro/Uwatec Galileo Sol
Scubapro/Uwatec Galileo LUNA
Shearwater perdix
Sherwood Amphos
Sherwood Sage
Sherwood Vision
Sherwood Wisdom 3
Suunto EONSteel
Suunto D4i
Suunto D6i
Suunto DX

They all use the term "tank".
A few (g2, EONSteel, Wisdom) have 1 or 2 references to cylinder; however, "tank" is the normal term.

Suunto Zoop: uses the term "cylinder" throughout its manual, but then they use "tank" to refer to "tank pressure".
Suunto Cobra: uses the term "cylinder" throughout its manual, but has 3 references to "tank pressure".
Suunto Suunto HelO2: uses both
Shearwater: Petrel 2 never refers to either "tank" or Cylinder".
Oceanic proplus 2: uses both
Oceanic proplus X: never uses either "tank" or "cylinder" and uses "Gas n" or "Gas pressure"

So far I've only seen the Suunto Zoop, Suunto HelO2,  and the Oceanic proplus 2 using the term "cylinder".

I would heavily lean to the term "tank" as that is in more wide spread use in the computer documentation
and many dive computers use the word "tank" or "T" on the actual computer display.

I would prefer not to use a different term than the actual manufacturer documentation.

--- bill