Cylinder vs. tank -

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Nov 28 11:57:10 PST 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> I'd love to hear from more people here.

So I have this dim memory that early on we had exactly this "tank vs
cylinder" discussion, and ended up using "cylinder" because it was
more common in some document.

Because we actually used to have "tank". See commit b176daf6d ("Do
better cylinder information management") from six years ago.

Maybe the discussion still exists somewhere (it would likely be late
August and early September 2011).

Because I always used "tank", but the argument was that "cylinder" is
the correct term.

End  result: I don't much care, other than a slight annoyance at the
back-and-forth ;)

             Linus