Cylinder vs. tank -

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 03:05:16 PST 2017

On 29 November 2017 at 01:27, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just out of interest I decided to look through (use the search function)
> some diving resources on my computer (admittedly mostly tech related - I'll
> see if I can check padi's encyclopedia of recreational diving when I get
> home). It appears we're not the only one who can't decide on tank vs
> cylinder.
>
> Deco for divers: consistent use of cylinder (except when referring to water
> tanks)
> GUE tech 1 manual: mixed use of cylinder and tank throughout, even in the
> same paragraph
> GUE SOPs: mixed use throughout
> Cave Divers Association of Australia training standards: mixed use
> throughout, even within same sentence
> Hollis DG03 user manual: consistent use of tank

I'll add mine adding more confusion.

I used Google Books Ngram viewer to search for the use of these terms
trough the years. I can get result up to 2008.
I run a simple non-case sensitive query for terms:  "scuba tank",
"diving tank", "scuba cylinder", "diving cylinder". I was obliged to
add the scuba/diving word otherwise my search would have been too
generic.

here my results: https://goo.gl/3xDe1n

Scuba tank wins

Here its help page showing how complex can be the search

https://books.google.com/ngrams/info

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos