Cylinder vs. tank -

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 11:01:58 PST 2017

On 29 Nov. 2017 11:27 am, "Rick Walsh" <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:

On 29 Nov. 2017 9:31 am, "Tim Wootton" <tim at tee-jay.org.uk> wrote:

On 28/11/17 20:18, Bill Perry wrote:
> It appears that Wikipedia pushes the term "Diving Cylinder"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_cylinder
> And in their terminology section, they say:
>
> "The term "diving cylinder" tends to be used by gas equipment engineers,
manufacturers, support professionals, and divers speaking British English.
"Scuba tank" or "diving tank" is more often used colloquially by
non-professionals and native speakers of
> American English"
If that's the case perhaps we could use "tank" and just replace "tank"
with "cylinder" in the UK English translation

> So from Wikipedia's perspective it appears to be somewhat a American
English vs British English thing...
> Although it appears that many of the Dive computer manufacturers have
leaned towards "tank".

> Could it be handled as a "language" thing like other translation items?
> using the locale information?
> Even if it could be done that way is it a good idea or worth it?
>
> It is kind of funny (actually in a sad way) that different dive computers
from the same manufacturer are not consistent with respect to their
terminology,
> and a couple device manuals intermix the terms in the same manual.
>
> ---- bill

Just out of interest I decided to look through (use the search function)
some diving resources on my computer (admittedly mostly tech related - I'll
see if I can check padi's encyclopedia of recreational diving when I get
home).

So I skimmed through the extensive equipment section of the PADI
Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving (2008) over breakfast. Despite being
American (very - the only glaring error I could find is the metric
conversions), it uses "cylinder" consistently. The only exception was one
"a.k.a. tank or bottle"

It appears we're not the only one who can't decide on tank vs cylinder.

Deco for divers: consistent use of cylinder (except when referring to water
tanks)
GUE tech 1 manual: mixed use of cylinder and tank throughout, even in the
same paragraph
GUE SOPs: mixed use throughout
Cave Divers Association of Australia training standards: mixed use
throughout, even within same sentence
Hollis DG03 user manual: consistent use of tank

Fwiw, I don't care which we choose but I do like consistency. "Tank" is
probably more commonly used in Australia (a metric country), but "cylinder"
is also used and understood.

Davide, I found your Google results very interesting. I was not aware such
a function/tool existed.

Rick