O2 sensor values on CCR dives

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Thu Nov 30 04:08:06 PST 2017

On 2017-11-27 17:27, Anton Lundin wrote:
> On 27 November, 2017 - Davide DB wrote:
>> On 17 November 2017 at 21:59, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dctool is a lucky process. 99% of the times I get errors like this:
>>>
>>> [73.192176] ERROR: Failed to receive the response packet. [in
>>> ../../source/src/shearwater_common.c:319
>>> (shearwater_common_transfer)]
>>> [73.192715] ERROR: Failed to download the dive. [in
>>> ../../source/src/shearwater_petrel.c:266
>>> (shearwater_petrel_device_foreach)]
>>> [73.193107] ERROR: Error downloading the dives. [in
>>> ../../source/examples/dctool_download.c:218 (download)]
>>> [73.193712] INFO: Write: size=9, data=FF0105002E902000C0

On windows (and linux too), I already have a build of dctool available
which uses native bluetooth communication. This should be a bit more
reliable then the serial emulation. (On the Petrel, I've noticed that a
low battery also causes download issues, probably because the bluetooth
chip draws more power.) The bluetooth build is available here:

http://libdivecomputer.org/builds/experimental/windows/dctool-bluetooth.exe

Instead of the serial port, you need to pass the bluetooth mac address
as a hexadecimal number (e.g. prefix with 0x, and remove the colons).

> I haven't gotten around to it. Jef might be interested in looking at it
> to, so I'll ping him.

Do we have some ground truth to compare against? Last time I checked
Shearwater Desktop didn't show the ppO2 values. And if they do, do they
show the average ppO2 or the individual sensors?

The average ppO2 is stored directly in the data, so that shouldn't match
perfectly. But the individual sensors is another story. In the data
there is only the millivolt, and libdivecomputer converts this into a
ppO2 value based on the calibration values. This conversion is reverse
engineered, so a mistake there is not impossible. Note that
libdivecomputer no longer reports the average ppO2, only the individual
sensors.

Is the resulting ppO2 wrong for the entire dive, or only during the deco
stop? The calibration does a simple multiplication with a constant
value, so if there is something wrong there, I would expect to see the
same kind of error throughout the entire dive.

Jef