Downloading from Petrel 2

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 19:50:28 PST 2017

On 1 December 2017 at 10:18, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have two Petrel 2 on my SF2. One controller and a Petrel EXT.
> I have no problem to download from Subsurface desktop 4.7.x on Windows
> with my laptop BT adapter or via the Shearwater BT dongle.
> Unfortunately no way from my cheap LG phone and a Huawey P8. I can
> download  from my wife's Nexus 5x and an ancient Nexus 7 first version.
>
> I suspect that is not a Subsurface fault or at least not entirely. While
> pairing most of the times I get BT fail on the Petrel but the phone doesn't
> realize of the device error and adds the Petrel as paired. Of course later
> on I can't download from Subsurface. I'm forced to delete the Petrel from
> the list of paired devices and start again. Unfortunately even after a
> successful pairing I have no luck with Subsurface...
>
> There are no words for the anger I feel pairing flawlessly my 10$ BT
> earphone :)
>
> Rick could you remember me how to check if my Petrel are BLE or not?

The Petrel 1 supported traditional Bluetooth only (no BLE), the Petrel 2
and I believe the original Perdixs support both traditional Bluetooth and
BLE.  More recent Perdixs, and all Perdix AIs only support BLE.

In Subsurface and Subsurface-mobile, if the Bluetooth address is prefixed
by LE: then it is trying to use BLE.  If it isn't, it's trying traditional
Bluetooth.  Subsurface-mobile may give you a choice - i.e. the address will
be listed twice in the drop-down list, one with and one without the LE
prefix.  The desktop version in current master (but I don't think the
latest release) lets you select (in the Bluetooth download screen) whether
Bluetooth mode should be "Auto" (default), "Force LE", or "Force classical".

Cheers,

Rick