Downloading from Petrel 2

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Nov 30 19:56:48 PST 2017

> On Nov 30, 2017, at 7:50 PM, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I suspect that is not a Subsurface fault or at least not entirely. While pairing most of the times I get BT fail on the Petrel but the phone doesn't realize of the device error and adds the Petrel as paired. Of course later on I can't download from Subsurface. I'm forced to delete the Petrel from the list of paired devices and start again. Unfortunately even after a successful pairing I have no luck with Subsurface...
>
> There are no words for the anger I feel pairing flawlessly my 10$ BT earphone :)

I really like working with the folks at Shearwater. That said, I'm not sure their BT and BLE implementations are perfect.
But nothing matches the insanity that is the broken BT and BLE stacks on various Android phones. So my guess is the blame is maybe a bit shared here.
And I bet there are things that we could do better as well.
This is a tough not to crack. Very few people are truly familiar with the BT/BLE code, very few people have these dive computers - and every OS has small differences in how our current code works. All this turns this into a testing and debugging nightmare.

> Rick could you remember me how to check if my Petrel are BLE or not?
>
> The Petrel 1 supported traditional Bluetooth only (no BLE), the Petrel 2 and I believe the original Perdixs support both traditional Bluetooth and BLE.  More recent Perdixs, and all Perdix AIs only support BLE.

I am pretty sure that Shearwater told me that the initial run of Petrel 2 were BT only, but that most Petrel 2 sold are dual stack. All new Perdix are BLE only.

> In Subsurface and Subsurface-mobile, if the Bluetooth address is prefixed by LE: then it is trying to use BLE.  If it isn't, it's trying traditional Bluetooth.  Subsurface-mobile may give you a choice - i.e. the address will be listed twice in the drop-down list, one with and one without the LE prefix.  The desktop version in current master (but I don't think the latest release) lets you select (in the Bluetooth download screen) whether Bluetooth mode should be "Auto" (default), "Force LE", or "Force classical".

Correct