Small gas pressure rendering improvements are needed for Mobile version 2

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Oct 6 09:22:25 PDT 2017

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 12:15 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> Attached four images of dive profiles with issues about the mobile rendering of gas pressures. Three issues:
>
> 1) Look at Dive2_desktop. The gas composition as well as start and end pressures of cylinders are indicated in an orderly way. Gas names are below start pressures and the positions of start and end pressures more or less maximise readability. Now look at the mobile representation of the same profile (Dive2_mobile). The gas names and the start pressures overlap to a degree that obscures readability. The end pressures are sometimes above the pressure graph, sometimes below the pressure graph. In general, the pressure data in the mobile dive profile is difficult to decipher. The positioning of the pressure data for the mobile representation is seriously problematic.

Yes. And it has proven insanely hard to find a way that works for the myriad of screen sizes, resolutions, and densities. I have spent countless hours on trying to optimize the sizes of icons, fonts, etc, for mobile. But for every version that I try, there are a few devices where this looks horrible.
I know, that's not helpful to address your problem, but it's a statement of why we are where we are...

> 2) The gas change icons in the mobile rendering are too small to be interpretable.

Yes, on some devices, not on others :-(

> 3) Now, the issue of dive plans stored with the real dive. Look at Dive1_desktop. Data are reasonable well presented, the dive plan being accessible as dive computer 2; the resultant real dive log being dive computer 1. Consider Dive1_mobile, where the cylinder pressures for the dive plan is erroneously plotted over those of the real dive log. Is there any way to just ignore the second set of gas pressures when there is a dive plan that is stored in combination with the real dive log?

That's an interesting question - I never use that feature (I haven't done a multi gas dive in years and haven't planned a dive in even longer than that). Could you send the dive data for the dive that you show here so I can play with it? Just export that single dive to XML.

Ideally - would you allow me to add this as a test dive to the Subsurface sources? So that all developers can take a look at this?

Thanks