Subsurface-mobile V2 user manual

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Oct 9 17:41:55 PDT 2017

> On Oct 9, 2017, at 12:42 PM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> I have done a first pass of the user manual for Subsurface-mobile version 2.
>
> There is a zipped version of the manual at:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/hzsx0n8dysk7cp2/MobileManualV2.zip?dl=0
>
> Unzip it and open the html with a browser.
>
> I also include the text file in case anyone would like to do edits on the text.
>
> Please give complements / suggestions / corrections / insults.
>
> After receiving suggestions, I will create a PR.

I haven't read through the manual in a while, so I'm not sure which ones of these comments are new for the latest version...

One stylistic thing that I notice... you are back to "one can do this or that" instead of "you can do this or that".

- The text before chapter 1 talks about Subsurface instead of Subsurface-mobile - is that intentional?
- The intro mentions that Subsurface-mobile for Android can collect GPS data, but it can also download from some dive computers. Should we mention that here? And with that in mind, is it still fair to only call this an "extension ... for viewing and sharing..."? Or should we just call it a "more limited, mobile version"?
- in the first bulleted list it says "Download existing dive log information from the Internet" - I think "from the Subsurface Cloud" would be more accurate
- chapter 4.1: this shouldn't be under chapter 4 - instead we should have a new chapter 13 (shifting down the existing chapter 13) that describes the settings page. Especially we should document the last two options: turn on the developer menu (now 14) and enabling the libdivecomputer log
- chapter 5: the profile that you are showing doesn't exactly make Subsurface-mobile shine :-)  (that's pretty busy...)
- chapter 6: you can no longer end dive edit by flinging it away; that caused to many accidental losses of data people had entered
- chapter 13: the developer menu is only available when enabled in the settings
- under 13.1 you should mention that the app log is available as subsurface.log in the root directory of the local storage

OK, that's a quick read, I need to spend more time on this. I would REALLY want some of the other testers to read and comment.
Willem is doing something very hard. And it is MUCH easier to criticize something that's there than to write this. So please, help him out by reading and commenting!