oh how I love Qt/QML on iOS

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 10 23:23:25 PDT 2017

While waiting for the Subsurface-mobile user manual I figured I'd give the iOS build a try again. And sadly I'm back in this state where I've been a few times before.

	engine.load(QUrl(QStringLiteral("qrc:///qml/main.qml")));

results in no error, no diagnostic output, absolutely nothing (even in a debug build). Yet

	qqWindowObject = engine.rootObjects().value(0);

fails since rootObjects() is an empty list. The Qt documentation helpfully tells you that if something had gone wrong, errors would have been written out:

If an error occurs, error messages are printed with qWarning <http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtglobal.html#qWarning>.

which is incredibly helpful except that there is no output. And there appears to be no other way to figure out what's wrong. This happens both in the iPhone simulator as well as when running on an actual device.

ARG.

Going through the email archives and git history it seems that in the past this had happened when we were missing qml dependencies. And oddly this all is done via the magic dummy.qml file. I made sure that every import that we have in our QML is carefully matched in that file. Still. same result.

If anyone has an inspiration what to try next, I'm all ear...