Subsurface-mobile V2 user manual

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 11 06:04:48 PDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:08:53AM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Below is the link to the new version of the user manual. I received comments
> only from Dirk.

This is really important - the quality and readability of our user manual
makes a huge difference to our users. I really wish that more of us would
spend the time to help out with the manual. This requires NO programing
skills at all - you don't need to send a diff, just comment on the text
and I'll turn this into commits for you. Your chance to become a
contributor to an open source project!

> Jan, you submitted some changes to the manual in March this year. Are these
> still reflected?
>
> Virtually all of the images have been replaced. Is the sizing of the images
> ok or should they be somewhat smaller?

I just updated the version on the server so people can check on their
device as well.

> Dirk, are you prepared to pull these for me, please? (unless you would like
> any more substantial edits which I would do with pleasure)

Already pushed to master.

> Some comments on my edits:
>
> 1) The use of second person in the text. While I respect the view that the
> text should be informal and user-oriented, too many cases of the word "you"
> in a single paragraph or section is bad style. In these cases I have in some
> places replaced it with the third person "one" to let it read more fluently.
> In other cases, the use of the second person is wordy e.g. "You can press
> the Cancel button" I changed to a direct instruction "Press the Cancel
> button".

I like direct instruction - I'm not a huge fan of the "one can" phrasing,
but I think the current version is quite readable. I think I'll do some
small tweeks to a couple of the sections later today, but I'm running out
of time this morning.

> 2) I used links in the present version of the user manual. I hope links work
> when the HTML is rendered within Subsurface-mobile.

Since I'm not quite sure what you mean here... latest Android beta should
now automagically show you your latest manual - so you can test this for
yourself :-)

Thank you SO MUCH, Willem, for working on this. Your contribution to
Subsurface by maintaining the user manuals is HUGE and greatly
appreciated.

I'm planning to release Subsurface-mobile 2.0 for Android today (well, as
a production release it goes through review - it may not hit the Google
servers today... we'll see).