no luck with Qt 5.9.2

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Oct 14 12:39:11 PDT 2017

> On Oct 14, 2017, at 1:09 PM, Jan Mulder <jlmulder at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 14-10-17 12:59, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 08:04:03PM +0200, Jan Mulder wrote:
>>>
>>> That was a useful tip, thanks Lubomir. Not out of the woods yet but an
>>> interesting observation:
>>>
>>> Kirigami.ApplicationWindow {
>>> 	id: rootItem
>>> 	title: "Subsurface-mobile"
>>> }
>>>
>>> gives same problem, but
>>>
>>> ApplicationWindow {
>>> 	id: rootItem
>>> 	title: "Subsurface-mobile"
>>> }
>>>
>>> passes the hard exit. So, there is some relation to Kirigami.  However, all
>>> this just does not happen on Qt 5.9.1 but only on 5.9.2.
>>>
> Unfortunately, very very limited progress. I found out that 2nd code fragment above does not tell the whole story. Obviously, it needs an "import QtQuick.Controls 2.2" the get the ApplicationWindow defined. However, adding "import org.kde.kirigami 2.0 as Kirigami" triggers the exit on the "can't create window object". So, its only one input that triggers the error of an almost empty main.qml
>
> The big question is now: is it Kirigami or Qt/QML? Of even a combination of both?

Have you tried running this under strace to see if it tries to open some library that it can't find or something?
I haven't been able to reproduce this on the desktop, only on iOS for some reason - and I have no idea how to run strace there :-(

> I even tried to compile mobile-on-desktop against the beta of Qt 5.10.0. No luck there, and the exact same behavior.
>
> I am heavily tempted to call this an Qt/QML bug. This is not only related to this 5.9.2 problem. Some months ago, when I was trying to get the BLE for OSTC to work, I had an Qt/QML android only source tree. I could (Android) compile the app perfectly against this (and leading to a properly running app), but after I synced my repo to the latest Qt master and re-compiled Qt from source again, the Subsurface-mobile app was crashing at the very start (but not exactly at the "can't create window object" exit), so, at that time, I abandoned that source tree, assuming I did something wrong, but in hindsight, I might have pulled in the Qt bug. All very speculative at this point, but I do not like the idea of bisecting some weird Qt/QML issue between 5.9.1 and 5.9.2.

That may not be enough for Thiago to help us... have you had a chance to look at Qt bugs (I sure haven't)