4.7 - a few questions and requests

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Oct 14 12:47:49 PDT 2017

During our layover on the way to Bonaire Linus and I were talking about the Subsurface release plans and he pointed out something painfully obvious. For most questions that we get these days, we simply point people at the latest test build. It's silly that we keep dragging our feet with a new release.

What are the big challenges right now:

Windows (~2/3 of our users): all seems to work well, except there's no BLE support

Mac (~1/5 of our users): all seems to work, there continue to be occasional weird pairing problems, especially with Shearwater computers

Linux (the rest of our users, about 1/7): oh boy. No working Ubuntu build, no working AppImage, Fedora and openSUSE appear ok

So my suggestion would be that we cut a 4.7 this week, clearly state that Ubuntu and AppImage are missing, and try to close that gap as soon as we figure out how.

My questions / requests:

- are there any major regressions / massive bugs that I have forgotten about and that should prevent us from releasing 4.7?
- what's the state of the user manual?
- what's the state of the translations?

It would be great if we could try to get translations and user manual at least looked at in the next few days, and hopefully some testing done with the test binaries that are up.

If you own the manual (Willem - but many others contribute), or a translation, it would be great if you could respond to this email to state if you have a bit of time in the next few days that you could devote to this.

I will spend as much time under water as possible, but while dry and awake will try to push this towards a releasable state.

Thanks for everyone's help!