4.7 - a few questions and requests

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Oct 15 03:13:06 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 10:20:39AM +0200, Stefan Fuchs wrote:
> Hallo Dirk, hi All,
>
> Am 14.10.2017 um 21:47 schrieb Dirk Hohndel:
> > Windows (~2/3 of our users): all seems to work well, except there's no BLE support
> >
> > Mac (~1/5 of our users): all seems to work, there continue to be occasional weird pairing problems, especially with Shearwater computers
> >
> > Linux (the rest of our users, about 1/7): oh boy. No working Ubuntu build, no working AppImage, Fedora and openSUSE appear ok
> >
> > So my suggestion would be that we cut a 4.7 this week, clearly state that Ubuntu and AppImage are missing, and try to close that gap as soon as we figure out how.
> >

> > My questions / requests:
> >
> > - are there any major regressions / massive bugs that I have forgotten about and that should prevent us from releasing 4.7?
> I would like to highlight only one item which is the heatmap because I
> think this could be easily fixed by s.o. more experienced than me:
> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/issues/562

Right. I forgot about that one. Yes, we should definitely fix the heat
maps. That's a regression.

> Regarding the planner it is the case than still some items are open
> including some PRs from my side which need more testing and also some
> open issues. But I fully agree with Robert that it doesn't really matter
> if we fix/merge this in 4.7 or 4.7.1 or even later.

Yes, that's my approach as well. The Beta releases that we used to do
really didn't work. Not enough people tested them and we still ended up
with quite a few problems in the .0 release. Instead I'm planning to
simply do a new point release every week or two until we are happy with
what we have.

> > - what's the state of the translations?
> My totally awesome ;-) "units in dive list table" feature created two
> new strings and please would need the source strings updated.

Done.

> Then I may
> also be able to look at the other untranslated DE strings mainly for mobile.

Cool. I will do an updated Subsurface-mobile release as well if we have
new translations for that.