Import data from Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Oct 15 09:31:34 PDT 2017

On Oct 15, 2017 05:28, "Berthold Stoeger" <bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at>
wrote:

I'm trying to import dive logs from a Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix
according to the manual. This is on Kubuntu 17.04 and subsurface compiled
from source.

So I think you have two issues that make it but work for you.

The first and more fundamental is that we haven't done the BLE support for
the Aladin Sport at all yet, unless somebody did it without me even
noticing.

Because sadly, Bluetooth LE is a complete disaster from a standards
standpoint. There is no standard way of doing a simple serial thing, every
dive computer manufacturer had to make up their own thing. The Bluetooth
SIG is incompetent, I feel.

So we need to have somebody with access to that dive computer figure out
how it ends up implementing the protocol over BLE. It might be a trivial
packetized serial version of existing protocols, and it might have extra
encapsulation.

But even if had the code, Qt-5.7.1 is not recent enough to work with BLE
devices on Linux. As you can see from the EBUSY error, the qt ble stack
just ends up fighting over the device with bluez, and can't access it.

          Linus