Defining new dive site using the map

Dietrich Meyer dietrich at sunnynames.com
Sun Oct 15 13:14:41 PDT 2017

On Sonntag, 15. Oktober 2017 21:51:28 CEST Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 15 October 2017 at 22:42, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 15 October 2017 at 22:30, Willem Ferguson
> >
> >> A suggestion. Change the colour if the non-finalised marker from red to
> >> any
> >> colour that contrasts with the rest of the existing markers. Once "Save
> >> changes" has been selected, then change the colour back to red???.
> >
> > both you and Dietrich seem to have good ideas about this.
> >
> > removing the red might turn the dive-flag into an xxxxx-flag (i.e. a
> > flag with a different meaning), so i decided not to do that back when
> > i've added the new flag assets.
> > visually, it is a very good option though, i must admit.
> >
> > so, how should the selected marker look if it's not red? what is a
> > safe to use color?
> >
> > ATM we have two makers PNG assets:
> > - selected marker (also used when editing) - it's slightly brighter
> > - de-selected marker - slightly darker
> >
> > ideas are welcome.
>
> here are the assets in question:
>
> selected:
> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/master/mobile-widgets/
> qml/icons/mapwidget-marker-selected.png
>
> de-selected:
> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/master/mobile-widgets/
> qml/icons/mapwidget-marker.png

Stupid non-coders question: How complicated would it be to introduce a third
PNG? Use "mapwidget-marker.png" as default. When editing a dive site, then
replace the current dive site with "mapwidget-marker-selected.png" and all
others with a new "mapwidget-marker-gray.png".

If that is complicated, then not sure if it is worth the effort (in my view,
small usability improvement, but not a major issue....)

I don't like the idea of using a different color. Although red flag with white
diagonal is, at least outside the US, not an official signal, it is still
commonly recognised all over the world....

Dietrich