Defining new dive site using the map

Dietrich Meyer dietrich at sunnynames.com
Sun Oct 15 13:46:36 PDT 2017

On Sonntag, 15. Oktober 2017 22:40:37 CEST Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 15 October 2017 at 23:14, Dietrich Meyer <dietrich at sunnynames.com> wrote:
> > On Sonntag, 15. Oktober 2017 21:51:28 CEST Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:

> >> here are the assets in question:
> >>
> >> selected:
> >> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/master/mobile-widge
> >> ts/ qml/icons/mapwidget-marker-selected.png
> >>
> >> de-selected:
> >> https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/master/mobile-widge
> >> ts/ qml/icons/mapwidget-marker.png
> >
> > Stupid non-coders question: How complicated would it be to introduce a
> > third PNG? Use "mapwidget-marker.png" as default. When editing a dive
> > site, then replace the current dive site with
> > "mapwidget-marker-selected.png" and all others with a new
> > "mapwidget-marker-gray.png".
> >
> > If that is complicated, then not sure if it is worth the effort (in my
> > view, small usability improvement, but not a major issue....)
> >
> > I don't like the idea of using a different color. Although red flag with
> > white diagonal is, at least outside the US, not an official signal, it is
> > still commonly recognised all over the world....
>
> it's not that complicated to use a third marker, but it seems to me
> that the grey marker is very close to the already existing "darker"
> marker.
> and that won't make much of a difference.

Well, it was just a 20-second effort using my photo editing software (I am
clearly not a graphic designer, nor UI expert). Here is one with even less
color. Any better?

> maybe a better solution is to make the rest of the markers transparent
> while editing the current one.

That also sounds like a good idea. Anything that increases contrast between
active marker and all others while editing dive site would be good.